Skip County Header
Alameda County, CA,

Larry Brooks
Healthy Homes Department
Including the Lead Poisoning Prevention Program

Housing Rehabilitation

We offer home repair grants to improve the health and safety of your home.

Minor Home Repair Service Area

The Alameda County Healthy Homes Department Minor Home Repair Program serves the cities of Albany, Dublin, Emeryville, Oakland, Newark, Union City, and the unincorporated areas of Ashland, Cherryland, Castro Valley, Hillcrest Knolls, Fairview, San Lorenzo, and Sunol.


To Be Eligible for Any of These Services You Must:

  • Have a household income at or below the HUD income limits (see chart below)
  • Own your own home in one of our services areas or
  • Oakland homeowners must be 62 or older and/or have a disability to participate in the minor home repair program.
Persons in household 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
2018 Income Limit $62,750 $71,700 $80,650 $89,600 $96,800 $103,950 $111,150 $118,300

Minor Home Repair Grant

This grant can be used to make minor plumbing, carpentry, electrical repairs and can be used for railings, grab bars, toilets, water heaters, doors, locks and more.

In Oakland the homeowner must be 62 years or older and/or have a disability to apply for minor home repair services. To apply for a minor home repair grant, call 510-567-8280. You do not need to complete an application.

Select the link below for where you live to view or download a brochure for more details:

Union City Housing Rehabilitation Grant

Rehabilitation grants are available for owner occupied properties in Union City. Work may include repairs on your roof, foundation, termite damage, dry rot, kitchen and bath damage, plumbing, electrical, water heater, doors, windows, built-in appliances, heating and cooling, energy doors, and more.

We help you with finding a contractor and reviewing the work. See our "Owners Manual" (PDF - 327kb)* for details.

Homeowners: To apply for a Rehabilitation Grant (Union City only) please complete the application below:

Please read the EPA booklet "Protect Your Family From Lead in your Home" (PDF - 1.5mb)* and sign that you have received it on the last page of the application.

Please also review the EPA "Renovate Right" (PDF - 7mb)* booklet.

Please fill out and submit your application and income documentation by mail to:

  • Alameda County Healthy Homes Department
    Housing Rehabilitation Program
    2000 Embarcadero, Suite 300
    Oakland, CA 94606

Select the link below to view or download the brochure for details and call us at (510) 567-8280.

Lead Hazard Repair Grants

Lead Hazard Repair grants are available for owners of pre-1978 rental and owner-occupied residential properties throughout Alameda County. Income, occupancy and other eligibility requirements apply. Pre-1960 housing units are a priority. Service includes free lead testing, up to $10,000 per unit for lead hazard repairs, and project assistance to help make your home or property lead-safe.

Click here for more information.

Other Housing Programs

Habitat for Humanity-East Bay | Silicon Valley

Home Repair Hotline: 510-803-3388
Address: 2619 Broadway, Oakland 94612.

Rebuilding Together Oakland | East Bay

Phone Number: 510-803-3388
Address: 520 3rd Street Ste 109, Oakland, CA 94607

* Portable Document Format (PDF) file requires the free Adobe Reader.

Alameda County sealAlameda County © 2012 • All Rights Reserved • Legal / DisclaimersAccessibility